The Best Questions To Ask At End of a SWE Interview
Have you ever googled what questions to ask at the end of your interview only to find generic questions? Something I couldn’t google was the best questions to ask at the end of software engineer interviews. Because of this, I decided to compile a list of questions that I like that I have actually asked.
I would like to share Amazon’s list of questions to ask. I thought that theirs covered a lot and had a lot of great questions.
- What did you do yesterday? (People often ask what a “typical day” in the role is, but when we answer that question, we tend to overestimate and underestimate different aspects of the job. Asking about yesterday gets you a more concrete example and the interviewer will usually provide more specific details that you can turn into follow-up questions)
- What did your team’s previous intern do for their project?
- How does mentorship work in this team/org? Will I be assigned a mentor on day 1? What other frameworks for mentorship do people on this team typically use?
- What is the biggest challenge your team is currently working on?
- How does/did your team stay connected during WFH?
- What is the structure of the team and its related teams? How do they relate and interact on a daily basis? What types of projects are multi-team efforts? (For a larger/more complex service such as AWS Fargate, there are probably multiple teams responsible for different features and sub-services)
- What is the “north star” goal of this team/org/project? If there were no constraints on the scope of the product/service, what would its ideal “complete” state look like?
Some other questions I ask are the following:
- How long are code sprints for this team and when is standup? A follow up: How many days a week is standup?
- What are your expectations for someone new in the role?
- What percentage of time do you find yourself coding versus in meetings?
- What is the company’s policy on remote/hybrid/coming into office?
- What is the tech stack of this team?
- How large is the team and do you work with any other teams?
Some of these questions can be asked after receiving a job offer and wanting to clarify some things before potentially taking it. I hope that this helps!